Back in Oklahoma

So, we landed at our base around 1530.  I was back at my apartment by 1630.  All in all, it was a pretty decent TDY.  I did not have to worry about my team members not showing up when they were supposed to.  I did not have to call and wake either of them up.  If they went out and had fun, they were responsible enough to get back in time to get an appropriate amount of sleep and come to work.  All in all, it was a good team.  It was the kind of team I hope for when I find that I am on the list to go TDY.  I have said before, and will likely say it again, the people you go with will make or break the trip.

Yesterday, we had hoped to come back.  In fact, we did not realize until nearly 1900 that we were not.  Billeting would not give us a non-availability slip (which is proof there was no room for us to stay on base; makes the travel vouchers much easier) as long as we were not sure whether we would be staying.  So, we had to check out of our hotel rooms by 1300.  Keep in mind, I had just gotten off a mid (graveyard) shift.  I had gotten maybe two hours of sleep.  That is being generous, considering I got no less than three phone calls and had one of my team members knock on the door to get the keys for our rental.  I am very grateful to the host base cops.  They took over security for us so I could go back to the hotel and get some sleep.  I was not fit for duty.

I guess the aircrew, maintenance, and my team members went down to the beach and played volleyball in the dark.  I vaguely remember one of my team members calling and asking if I cared to join them.  I kind of wish I had no been so tired.  I would have gone with them, otherwise.  They were talking about it throughout the day.

We checked out today at 1100 and were on the plane by 1300.  I still need to get paperwork and such from various people to do my travel voucher tomorrow.  Of course, with some of that paperwork, the travel voucher may have to wait until Friday.  I can sense an argument brewing with one of my unit's civilians over this.  I cannot do the voucher without this paperwork, though, so I will win.

My supervisor called to make sure I got back.  I had told him we would be delayed at least a day.  We do not work again until Friday, so I have plenty of time to recover.  Work should prove interesting on Friday.  It always does in some way.  I get to find out what all happened while I was gone.  Hopefully, none of my troops got themselves in trouble.

Read and post comments | Send to a friend


About emeree

I am an Air Force veteran. I served as a Security Forces troop for nearly seven years and reached the rank of Staff Sergeant before separating in 2008. My tours of duty were in England and Oklahoma. I live in the Seattle area, which is where I grew up. I used my GI Bill and earned a degree from the University of Washington. I currently work in downtown Seattle and experience all the adventure that comes with that.
This entry was posted in Uncategorized. Bookmark the permalink.

Leave a Reply

Fill in your details below or click an icon to log in: Logo

You are commenting using your account. Log Out /  Change )

Google+ photo

You are commenting using your Google+ account. Log Out /  Change )

Twitter picture

You are commenting using your Twitter account. Log Out /  Change )

Facebook photo

You are commenting using your Facebook account. Log Out /  Change )


Connecting to %s