Visit and Travels

My friend was here for a visit.  He drove the hour and a half from Lawton to Oklahoma City.  I suspect it took him less time to get here than that, but I was happy to see him.  One of the first things he wanted was to get some sushi or steak.  I know a good place that does both, and that is where we went to eat.  All was well.  For the most part, anyway.

Thursday night was when random weird stuff started to happen.  I should mention that things generally do when the two of us are near each other, so I was not surprised.  A little frustrated at times, yes.

Thursday afternoon, the belt in the vacuum broke.  I have yet to find a belt that might fit, but I have been busy this weekend with my friend's visit.  Thursday night, the sinks in both the kitchen and bathroom had to be unclogged.  Luckily, neither took much time.  Friday afternoon, a maintenance guy came in and fixed the hot water problem.  He showed us the blown thermometer.  That looked rather interesting.  I was thankful to have a hot shower afterward to wash away the memory of the frigid one I was forced to take that morning before heading to work.  Shortly thereafter, we realized two things.  He realized the garbage disposal, which I hardly use, is not working.  I noticed the cabinet under the sink somehow got broken.  I am trying to determine whether I can fix that problem without calling maintenance again.

Friday, there were a couple places my friend wanted to check out.  Well, I somehow got the addresses for the two places mixed up, which made finding them rather interesting.  We had a good laugh after realizing what had happened.  I felt pretty silly.

Saturday, we drove down to Wichita Falls in Texas.  Our main purpose for going down there was just to get away from everything.  We succeeded and had fun doing it, though the map we had left something to be desired.  It was not to scale, and certainly was not accurately telling where buildings were.  When we got there and checked into the hotel, we were surprised to see some of the doors on the first floor wide open.  Now, I could see why the cleaning staff would do something like that, but there were none present.  We were highly amused to see a squirrel pondering whether it should check one of the rooms out.  Fortunately for the hotel staff, the squirrel decided against it and bounced along.  After getting our room keys, my friend discovered why the doors had been left open.  Someone had painted the door and was allow the door to dry without as much risk to someone touching it.  Luckily for my friend, the door was mostly dry by then, otherwise his hands would have had a nice purplish red color to them.

We first went to the Falls and took some pictures there.  We then tracked down a local winery and were amazed to find it without making a wrong turn somewhere and having to backtrack.  Good wine, I thought.  I have a nice red wine for future consumption.  There were some delicious chocolate wine sauces that were tried, too.  Wow.  My friend said those could be addicting.

After a quiet night of watching movies and relaxing, we drove back up earlier.  We promptly got highly annoyed with a driver in the left lane.  The right lane was going faster and we attempted to go around her after a moment.  She sped up and prevented us from passing her, and then slowed down again.  She did this several times and waved at us at least three times while doing so.  Needless to say, I was quite glad when she finally got off the interstate.  I do not understand why people do that.  We did nothing to provoke her, unless she takes offense to being passed when she is going slow.  What amazed me is she was acting like this while she had children in the car with her.  Some people should not be driving!

After my friend dropped me off and we said our goodbyes, my neighbor approached and explained she had somehow damaged my driver side mirror.  She was moving stuff back and forth from her apartment to her car and may have hit mine while passing.  The mirror itself is not broken, but it is dangling on the side of my car.  There is an acquaintance who has offered his assistance as long as I buy the parts.  I will probably take him up on that offer tomorrow.  I was only mildly annoyed with it.  It is relatively minor damage, and my neighbor quickly came forward.  There are many people who would have just went about their lives without admitting they had done something wrong.

Needless to say, it has been interesting the past few days, and will probably continue to be for the next couple of days as I try to figure out how to get things fixed.  Fun stuff.

I was thrilled to see my friend, though.  It was nice seeing him again after so long.  I hope to visit with him again, preferably without four years or more passing between visits.

Read and post comments | Send to a friend


About emeree

I am an Air Force veteran. I served as a Security Forces troop for nearly seven years and reached the rank of Staff Sergeant before separating in 2008. My tours of duty were in England and Oklahoma. I live in the Seattle area, which is where I grew up. I used my GI Bill and earned a degree from the University of Washington. I currently work in downtown Seattle and experience all the adventure that comes with that.
This entry was posted in Uncategorized. Bookmark the permalink.

Leave a Reply

Fill in your details below or click an icon to log in: Logo

You are commenting using your account. Log Out /  Change )

Google+ photo

You are commenting using your Google+ account. Log Out /  Change )

Twitter picture

You are commenting using your Twitter account. Log Out /  Change )

Facebook photo

You are commenting using your Facebook account. Log Out /  Change )


Connecting to %s