That is where I am presently stuck, for lack of a better term.  I suppose I could have continued on, but my nerves were pretty much shot by the time I got here.

Let me start with yesterday.  The movers came Monday and Tuesday.  All my stuff was gone, with the exception of what I wanted to take with me in the car.  It took me longer to finish the last of the cleaning than I anticipated, so I did not get out of Oklahoma City until after 1100.  The drive out of Oklahoma and into Kansas proved uneventful.  However, it started snowing not long after I passed into Colorado.  I was bound and determined to reach Denver before stopping for the night, but my mind was changed in a matter of seconds.

I was following a truck which had a trailer.  I had been following it with little trouble for a little while.  The only problem I was having was focusing on the road instead of letting my eyes get distracted by the snow blowing at my windshield.  The truck passed over some loose snow and blew it back into my windshield.  No problem.  I slowed down and the windshield wipers took care of it.  Shortly thereafter, it happened again.  More snow this time, completely obliterating my view of the road.  Startled, I pushed on the brakes.  Not hard.  I know better.  Lightly.  However, I hit an ice patch at the same time and spun.  That was my first spin out, and I hope to never experience something like that again.  I ended up facing the opposite direction.  I was lucky.  One, there were no signs, poles, guardrails, or anything on the side of the road.  Two, the car behind me was at least half a mile back, so I avoided what could have been an ugly accident.  I managed to get my car turned back around and pulled into Limon, Colorado for the night.  I was disappointed, but I was safe, as were my cats.  Oh, apparently my Siamese is claustrophobic.  Lovely.  I just hope she quiets down somewhat tomorrow.

Today, I set out around 0900.  Visibility was not ideal, but I could see the road well enough to trudge along.  My original goal was to reach Denver, then head either north to Fort Collins and then Wyoming, or keep heading west into Utah.  I learned soon after starting out that the interstate I had hoped to take in Wyoming was closed.  Later, the interstate from Fort Collins into Wyoming closed, too.  No problem.  I decided to go west.  Well, the storm was still going on and visibility went from okay to terrifyingly dismal in a matter of seconds.  I ended up tailing a semi or two into the Denver area, hoping they would not stop suddenly, and using them as somewhat of a shield.  By the time I got to Denver, I was frazzled.  My eyes were exhausted from all the white and my ears were ringing from three hours of the Siamese's hoarse yowls.  That cat has quite the voice box.

So, I am holed up for the night.  The cats are quiet and enjoying the room.  I am enjoying dinner and hoping tomorrow will be better, as they are predicting.

I had hoped to reach Seattle tomorrow, but that probably will not happen.  I will be lucky to get to Boise, Idaho.  It all depends on the roads leading west out of Colorado.

Read and post comments | Send to a friend


About emeree

I am an Air Force veteran. I served as a Security Forces troop for nearly seven years and reached the rank of Staff Sergeant before separating in 2008. My tours of duty were in England and Oklahoma. I live in the Seattle area, which is where I grew up. I used my GI Bill and earned a degree from the University of Washington. I currently work in downtown Seattle and experience all the adventure that comes with that.
This entry was posted in Uncategorized. Bookmark the permalink.

Leave a Reply

Fill in your details below or click an icon to log in: Logo

You are commenting using your account. Log Out /  Change )

Google+ photo

You are commenting using your Google+ account. Log Out /  Change )

Twitter picture

You are commenting using your Twitter account. Log Out /  Change )

Facebook photo

You are commenting using your Facebook account. Log Out /  Change )


Connecting to %s