Moving the Bins

I really did not want to go to class on Thursday.  I woke up with a clogged nose and was sneezing profusely during part of that morning.  However, not going to class was not an option.  I had a midterm exam in my constitutional law class.  I am not sure how well I did and likely will not find out until toward the end of next week at the earliest.  I am hoping I did okay.  I certainly know better how to study for the final.  Each professor has their own style of tests.

My aunt usually goes down to my grandparents’ house on Thursday afternoons to visit and move their trash and recycling bins to the curb for Friday morning pickup.  My grandfather’s mobility and balance (or lack thereof) do not permit him to do this without a high risk of falling, and my grandmother is not physically capable of moving the bins very easily if there is anything in them, especially over the uneven terrain and steps that lead down to the curb.  However, my aunt has been dealing with a family emergency involving her mother-in-law and asked if either my mother or someone from her family would be willing to wander down.  I agreed, knowing that it would be easiest for me to wander down.  Plus, I figured my grandfather would be delighted to see me.

I was there for about an hour or so.  My grandmother managed to heat up some tea for me with limited supervision.  I was concerned at one point when she asked if she needed to put coffee in my tea, but she quickly understood when I asked for a little sugar and milk.  My grandfather chuckled at the latter addition to the tea and remarked correctly that it was probably a habit from my tour of duty in England.  We talked about my midterm, the odd neighbors across the street, how my cousin needs to find a better paying job, Grandpa’s missing wool sweaters, and other tidbits.  We did not mention my aunt’s mother-in-law until Grandma was out of earshot.  I imagine he did not want to go into a detailed explanation that would take forever due to Grandma’s 30-second short-term memory cycle.  We both agreed that though news right now is optimistic, we were not sure how long that would list given the history of health issues over the past couple years.

All in all, it was a good visit.  Grandma seemed much less anxious while she was in their home.  She did not once mention the cats’ possible whereabouts or whether they needed to be fed, which I found a little surprising, though I did not complain.  She asked where I was attending school and what my degree would be in repeatedly, but not quite as often as she would outside their home.  Grandpa also seemed more relaxed than I have seen him in previous visits.  I left feeling upbeat, which is not always the case after a visit with Grandma.  I will take it.


About emeree

I am an Air Force veteran. I served as a Security Forces troop for nearly seven years and reached the rank of Staff Sergeant before separating in 2008. My tours of duty were in England and Oklahoma. I live in the Seattle area, which is where I grew up. I used my GI Bill and earned a degree from the University of Washington. I currently work in downtown Seattle and experience all the adventure that comes with that.
This entry was posted in Uncategorized and tagged , , . Bookmark the permalink.

Leave a Reply

Fill in your details below or click an icon to log in: Logo

You are commenting using your account. Log Out /  Change )

Google+ photo

You are commenting using your Google+ account. Log Out /  Change )

Twitter picture

You are commenting using your Twitter account. Log Out /  Change )

Facebook photo

You are commenting using your Facebook account. Log Out /  Change )


Connecting to %s