Snow, Then Rain

It was predicted that it would snow last Monday and Tuesday.  I was hoping that meant I wouldn’t have to deal with it, since those are my nights off.  Heh.  How wrong I was.  It started snowing before I left home Sunday night.  There was a very light dusting on my car as I walked out of the house.  I wasn’t happy, but knew the roads were still decent enough for me to get to work without too much trouble.

I noticed something odd about other drivers in the snow.  Maybe it’s just me, though? When it rains, many drivers tend to slow down, even if it isn’t raining that hard.  But when it snows? It’s like a flip got switched and everyone is telling themselves, “Oh no! It’s snowing! I’ve got to get off the road as soon as possible!” They’re driving so much faster in snow than in rain.  It’s weird.  I’ll be going along at a speed a bit under what I typically do and drivers all around me are flying past me and spraying slush and whatever else at my windshields.  It makes for an interesting drive.

Anyway, the snow really started coming down early Monday morning.  All was quiet at work.  Mostly.  The people we do see out in this weather tend to be more out there than normal, though, so it can be interesting interacting with them.  As we watched the snow accumulate on the roads, my partner and I waited for the phone to ring.  Sure enough, it did a bit after 0500.  My partner’s relief called out, and then mine did, too.  Fortunately, our manager was able to get a couple of the swing shift people to come in early or on their time off.  We were very grateful.  Then our colleague on graveyard called out, which resulted in me going in on my night off for a few hours.  I wasn’t happy.

The snow had mostly stopped by then, but the roads around my home were very slick, which made for a white-knuckle drive that night.

Wednesday brought the pouring rain.  Due to the rain and melting snow, there was a great deal of water on the road.  Even the interstate wasn’t immune.  I think I hydroplaned no fewer than three times while I drove to work that night.  At one point, the car next to me and I both hit standing water while going down I-5.  The other driver struggled to keep control of their car while spraying my windshield with a horrendous amount of water, which made it almost impossible for me to see what I was doing as I struggled to keep my car from swerving into the lanes on either side.  Fortunately, we prevailed and I made it to work safely.

Still, I am looking forward to a couple of days off with little to no driving involved.


About emeree

I am an Air Force veteran. I served as a Security Forces troop for nearly seven years and reached the rank of Staff Sergeant before separating in 2008. My tours of duty were in England and Oklahoma. I live in the Seattle area, which is where I grew up. I used my GI Bill and earned a degree from the University of Washington. I currently work in downtown Seattle and experience all the adventure that comes with that.
This entry was posted in Uncategorized and tagged , . Bookmark the permalink.

Leave a Reply

Fill in your details below or click an icon to log in: Logo

You are commenting using your account. Log Out /  Change )

Google+ photo

You are commenting using your Google+ account. Log Out /  Change )

Twitter picture

You are commenting using your Twitter account. Log Out /  Change )

Facebook photo

You are commenting using your Facebook account. Log Out /  Change )


Connecting to %s